03 Apr Should You Be Embarrassed Eating Breakfast Topless?
Hell yes you should!!!
Seeing we are getting personal and sharing our topless stories today I have a confession. I am a bit of a ‘naturalist’ and any chance I get I’ll whip the bra off because… why not?
So what the hell am I saying here? Should you or should you not be embarrassed eating breakfast topless? You would think I would embrace the topless life in all areas, but i don’t especially when it comes to my smoothies.
For years I have struggled with bad digestion, poor nutrient absorption, constipation and a hole host of gut related issues so I am always looking for ways to hack my gut health and digestion because I am one of those people that need a bit of extra health in that department. One thing I have learn over the years is that it’s not just about the food you eat but how your body digests it.
So that brings me back to my first point… going topless OR in this case, putting a top on.
Smoothies are amazing for your health because its already half digested being in liquid form, you can sneak in a ton of veggies to your diet, load it full of good fats and extra superfood goodies BUT if you are not doing the most important part of eating then you wont kick start your digestion. If you are a guzzler and just skull a smoothie down in 30 seconds flat then you are just guzzling them down you are wasting your time and your money. That is the last thing I want you to do…
When you top your smoothie it is basically forcing you to chew them by adding crunchy bits so you can’t just skull them down.
3 Reasons to add a topping to your smoothie
- Saliva : When you chew your food you promote saliva and the chewing helps to mix it in with your food (as well as break it down) and the saliva contains certain digestive enzymes needed in the stomach to extract the nutrition.
- Energy : Ideally you want to chew until your food is liquefied, this prolonged chewing not only helps to break the food down so its smaller but by doing this it reduces the amount of effort for the stomach which requires a huge amount of energy. So in this case you want to chew away baby to avoid that food coma feeling.
- Absorption : Better absorption of nutrients. When you go through the motions and chew properly and mix in that saliva you properly break down the food so your body can extract not only nutrients but energy as well. So just by chewing alone you can improve your depleted vitamin and mineral stores in the body so you can function properly.
- Gut Health : When you have undigested food in your intestines it can provide a breeding ground for undesirable bacteria and yeast… not only that but undigested food can damage your intestinal lining which is really important for maintaining good gut health. When you damage the lining you are opening yourself up for allergies, autoimmune issues and all sorts of mild to mean symptoms.
So you see why you shouldn’t let your smoothies go topless?
So what now??
This is the one time I will allow a bra or top at breakfast… Top your smoothie with nuts, coconut flakes or (if I have been organised and have food prepped) granola, chopped fruit and or chia seeds…. You name it… there are heaps of options so there are no excuses not to top.
I know you want your digestion working like clockwork because that means healthier guts and happy bacteria and I know you want to soak up all the goodness you get from your food so I suggest a topping of coco nutty granola (recipe below). Unfortunately I can’t claim ownershit to the recipe as I first learn it from Sarah Wilson of “I Quit Sugar” however it is an amazing recipe that can be easily whipped up in no time and totally altered according to what ingredients you have in your pantry so just work with what you have and what you enjoy flavour wise.
COCONUTTY GRANOLA RECIPE.
- 1/3 cup of ANY seeds (flax, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia)
- 1/2 cup of ANY nut or nuts (ideally raw and activated)
- 1 cup coconut flakes (more if you were low on nuts)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (always organic and cold pressed)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of cinnamon or spice of your liking (nutmeg, cinnamon or cacao)
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl so they are all nicely coated with coconut oil, add the a baking tray and whack in the oven on 180 for approx 15 mins giving it a stir in between or cook for longer until it is to your roasted liking. I usually drizzle a tbs of honey on once i pull out the oven for just a touch of sweetness.
Wellness Hack for today
Top your smoothie or have it in a bowl with some chopped up fruit and eat / chew it to improve digestion, gut health and for better absorption.